Roughly 10 minutes by foot and 3 minutes drive from Casa da Piedade in São Vicente – Madeira The visit to the caves is very well organized, lasting about 30 minutes under the direction of specialized guides. The visit is very interesting because the monotony from the repetition of scenery that hardly changes has been overcome by the creation of a route that is mysterious, suitably lighted, having a well-chosen musical background and special magically architected lighting. All this combines with the telluric imagination regarding the Centre of the Earth…
In 2001, the World Big Wave Championships were held in Madeira.
Surfing first started in the Portuguese island of Madeira in the 1970s off the villages of Paul do Mar, Jardim do Mar and Punta Pequena. Almost every surfspot is rocky and powerful. No waves seem to break under six feet in the winter months. Madeira did not really come to the attention of foreign surfers until articles in surfing magazines in the mid-1990s. Since 1996, top Portuguese surfers from the mainland compete in the Madeira regional edition of the ‘Billabong’ Challenge.
A clock tower and a small chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Fátima in a prominent position on the Pico da Cova in São Vicente freguesia, Madeira. It is 14 metres high and was built between 1942 and 1953
Under the watch of the Chapel of Our Lady of Fatima in São Vicente, that, as per the elderly was built with the help of the people of the parish, is CASA DA PIEDADE which takes the name of the last lady who lived there.
This house was built in the eighteenth century and restored in 1994 maintaining its original architecture and style, but adapted to modern times for the enjoyment and comfort of its guests.
São Vicente – Madeira